Judith Silverthorne is available to do:
- Author Visits & Readings for Schools, Libraries, Organizations & Community Groups
- Conference & Festival Presentations
- Writing Workshops and Course Instruction
- Writer-in-Residence Terms
- Special Engagements & Focus Groups
- Author activities 2019
- Author Activities 2018
- Author Activities 2017
- Author Activities 2017 – Northern SK Tour
- Author Activities 2016
- Author Activities 2015
Presentations are geared towards the needs of the host and audience. They may be:
- for any size audience: large or small groups welcome (2 to 200 to 1000+)
- focused for children, youth, adults, seniors, etc., families or a mix
- feature specific topics and genres
- accommodate various skill levels
Presentations may be about any idea or concept regarding the world of:
Some suggestions may be found under Workshop & Course Instruction at the bottom of this page.*
Author Visits & Readings for Schools, Libraries, Organizations & Community Groups
Often I start with a short introduction about who I am, where I’m from, what I write, and I may expand on where and how I write. An opportunity for Q & A usually forms part of my general presentations.
Sometimes teachers, librarians, and community hosts invite me to present a reading of one or more of my current or older books, which might be of relevance to their classes or audiences.
Occasionally I may include a PowerPoint presentation to more fully engage an audience, or to show illustrations if relevant, such as showing the images in my picture book, Honouring the Buffalo, or to convey the rough life portrayed in my YA novel, Convictions, about the adventures on an all female convict ship.
My conference presentations are totally geared towards the specific theme and topic required and may be accompanied by PowerPoint presentations if the topic warrants it.
Workshop & Course Instruction
Often educational institutions whether at the elementary, high school/secondary, or post-secondary levels ask me to conduct workshops on a particular writing aspect or topic. In addition communities, writing groups, associations, organizations, or business may also ask for specific instruction. I provide instruction for many skill levels and ages of writers.
*Here are some sample workshop topics you might find of interest:
- the writing process
- getting started – ideas on what to write
- structure of a novel
- developing characters
- choosing the right POV
- finding your voice
- editing process
- preparing for publication
- the importance of research
Special Engagements & Focus Groups
I do readings, presentations and appearances for special events and occasions, such as for libraries, book tours celebrations, Fan Expos, Halloween night and literacy activities.
- Bump in the Night – Government House Historical Museum, Regina, Saskatchewan, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Fan Expo-Regina, 2015, 2016
- Writes of Spring, RPL (Regina Public Library) 2017
- SaskBooks Publishing Tour, 2016
- Family Literacy Day Celebrations, 2012